Guiding Hand decktypes

Discussions about the Shadowfist DCG in all incarnations.
Liu_Jian

Guiding Hand decktypes

Postby Liu_Jian » Tue May 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Similar to what was posted regarding Lotus deck types, what are Guiding Hand builds that you have seen work well?

A friend of mine has had an Acupressure Master/Elephant Style deck for a long time. He does not play it much these days but after Year of the Goat, he could totally give it a makeover by incorporating Huang Yi and Garden of Peaceful Reflection.

I made a mostly-modern legal power theft deck that relies on Reformed Bandits and Tranquil Peaks. I say mostly-modern legal because it has 5 Railroad Workers to be able to play the bandit on turn 1. Pretty disgusting when it happens!

I also have a Monk and States deck with Rosalee Leung, Bountiful Fields, etc. Slow but quite solid.

I recently tried a deck based on Austere Monks, with candle training etc. It's okay and can surprise opponents but it is not one of the most effective.
CrazyCatTim

Re: Guiding Hand decktypes

Postby CrazyCatTim » Tue May 02, 2017 9:09 pm

My go-to Hand deck, and the Hand are my go-to faction, is monks. You can get a lot of damage quickly out with low cost monks. The thing is, you have to try to win quickly, or you become crumple zone fast.

A friend of mine really likes his candle training deck.

I've also built state heavy decks, and they can work fairly well. I've toyed around with a Yellow / Redirection deck, but haven't gotten it to work quite yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Confirmed crazy cat man, St. Catharines, ON, Canada. Part of the Niagara - Toronto play group. My love of Shadowfist far exceeds my ability to be good at Shadowfist.
Matt_Woolley

Postby Matt_Woolley » Wed May 03, 2017 7:47 am

I've got a water sword state deck, but outside of that, I'm not a big hand player.

An orange mostly hand multifaction deck always seemed like a good option to me, with bao ling, orange senschi chambers, police negotiators and stoic warriors. Never quite got round to it though, and my multifaction decks usually suck.

I've seen a full on site healing deck, but that usually stalled out with no way to win.
CrazyCatTim

Postby CrazyCatTim » Wed May 03, 2017 11:16 am

Josh S won the World Champs at Gencon within the last 2-ish years with an Orange deck that featured all the factions in the game. A lot of the characters you mentioned above, plus a tonne of multi-faction events for table control
Confirmed crazy cat man, St. Catharines, ON, Canada. Part of the Niagara - Toronto play group. My love of Shadowfist far exceeds my ability to be good at Shadowfist.
Matt_Woolley

Postby Matt_Woolley » Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 am

Excellent. Glad that's works, though unfortunately I've just traded away all my police negotiators :(

It seems odd that there's not much variety, and its telling that most of the decks mentioned are modern based. There must be some classic hand combo decks? Jade dragon maybe? Rooftop gardener and Rice paddies? (though that's modern). Something with that 3/7 guy? Any tricks pulled with Rigorous discipline? Sword decks? Its interesting (and good?) that hand denial isn't really a viable approach. I guess the relative weakness of event cancellation, plus fists draw mechanic limits that.

To the chimpshack!
CrazyCatTim

Postby CrazyCatTim » Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 am

I actually frequently play Hand in tournaments in Classic (but have never won an event, so, you know). The two builds that I tend towards are a kinda-speedy Monk deck using Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting, Mountain Monastery, and Temple of the Shaolin Dragon. You can generate a lot of combat damage fast. The downside is that it's combat damage, not fighting, so if you don't speed to the win quickly, you're going to just crumple when everybody else gets running. The second downside is that the restrictions on Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting really restricts the choices for other sites in the deck. I dunno. I haven't won with it, but I've made a few final tables, and I really have a lot of fun playing it.

You can also make a pretty decent classic state deck. Between Secret Wisdom of the Ancients and Bountiful Fields, plus all the innate Hand state stuff, it can work very well.

Also, the Hand can do pretty well with "not a theme, just a bunch of dudes" deck. Like. Just put some 3-for-4s, some 4-for-6s, a 5-for-8 or two, some table control, and some cheap states, and you'll do fine.

Return to “Shadowfist DCG”