Modern-format decklists

Discussions about the Shadowfist DCG in all incarnations.
Liu_Jian

Modern-format decklists

Postby Liu_Jian » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Do you have a Modern-format deck you would like to share with the community?

Post it here!
Last edited by Liu_Jian on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liu_Jian

Re: Modern-format decklists

Postby Liu_Jian » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Guiding Hand Power Theft (56 cards)

This is a Modern-format adaptation of my Maine 2016 championship tournament deck. The original, Classic-format deck relied on Railroad Workers and Tranquil Peaks to try to drop a Reformed Bandit on turn 1. I ran the probabilities at the time and I think that with aggressive discard I had close to a 1/3 chance of getting all 3 cards in hand. Without the Workers the deck is quite slower but you have a pretty good chance of dropping a Bandit on turn 2 nonetheless.

The deck works better in three-player games because the drawback of the Tranquil Peaks increases the more opponents you have. The deck has one major weakness however: its lack of punch-trough ability. The Classic version made heavy use of Willow Step but here it relies on Yanyuedao Blade, Hovercraft and Song of the Nightingale. Cards I"d love to incorporate are Amulet of the Turtle and Cat Stance, though the latter may be too Chi onerous for this specific build.

The deck is extremely vulnerable to Ancient Stone Arch, but you won't be giving Power away via Moebius Gardens because all the extra Power you generate is through Tranquil Peaks and Power Theft. No Violet Meditation or Confucian Stability make it somewhat of an unusual Guiding Hand build.

FENG SHUI SITES

5 Tranquil Peaks
2 Underground Depots
2 Maze of Little Passages
1 Sea Turtle Cove
1 Hidden Sanctum
1 The Junkyard
1 Garden of Eternal Spring

FOUNDATIONS
4 Shaolin Supplicants
4 Confucian Initiate
4 White Crocus Society

RAMP/UTILITY CHARACTERS
2 Buddhist Gardener

POWER THEFT
5 Reformed Bandits
2 Iron Monkey

MID-RANGE HITTERS

1 Kung Fu Masters

HITTERS
1 Chin Ken
2 Green Master
1 Huang Yi
1 Sifu Beumer
1 Li Po

VARIOUS
2 Yanyuedao Blade
2 Hovercraft
2 Journey's Reward
2 Song of the Nightingale
2 Blade Palm
2 Into the Light
2 Iron and Silk
1 Chinese Connection
Matt_Woolley

Postby Matt_Woolley » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:24 am

Dragons: Token Heroes (60 cards). Adapted slightly for Modern

The main thrust of the deck is to be slightly behind the victory curve (by playing non feng shui sites for example), ensuring that your quartermasters, heavens brigades, What Have I becomes and Ancestral River Homes are likely to trigger, otherwise it works well as a solid comeback deck. There are plenty of overlapping combinations in the deck (Ideally on any turn you might play a Heavens Brigade, turn an apprenticeship to gain 2 additional student tokens, sacrifice it to Band of Heroes to gain +2 Fighting, and then return the Heavens Brigade to play potentially gaining another two student tokens.) In practice not all of these combinations pan out, but even part of the combo works well - and none of these cards are terrible if played alone. Other tricks to play are Ejector Seat Malfunctioning your own Characters (Band of Heroes or Chun Qi Shuan), Combining the Blackboard or Junkyard Engineers with Angie Dao, and obviously ITAYG works nicely with the bruisers or Band of Heroes.

Its lower in feng shui than I would usually prefer, and the feng shui themselves need some tweaking I think. Additionally the Quartermasters are particularly ineffective in a 4 player game (but much better in duelling).

Feng Shui:
The Blackboard
Kowloon Gate
The Iron Palace
Ancestral River Home x 2
Sulphurous Cenote
Gao Family Banquet Hall
Feather Mountain
Remote Temple
Charnel Ground
Rainforest Bridge

NFSS
2 x Dragons Hideout
2 x Grease Shack

Foundations
5 x Junkyard Engineers
5 x Netherworld Tricksters

Ramps
4 x Heavens Brigade
4 x Quartermasters

Midrange
Angie Dao

Hitters
4 x Band of Heroes
2 x Big Bruisers
Chun Qi Shuan
The Leong Broothers
Great Teacher Chow
Clueless Heroes

Events
3 x Ejector Seat Malfunction
2 x Scrounging
2 x Dirk Wiselys Gambit
2 x Is that all you got
2 x Fortune Favors the Brave

Other
3 x Apprenticeship
2 x What have I become?!
Matt_Woolley

Postby Matt_Woolley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:02 am

Ascended: Hidden Church (60 card)
The main deck combination is Church Archivist with Hidden Tombs. To make that work you need lots of power, which bull markets provide, but then you'll be wanting to steal that back with your Mentors and Thiefs. Its a fun and occasionally explosive deck, that will likely irritate the hell out of your opponents. It does have plenty of weaknesses. Beaumains, Great Walls, Flambards.

Feng Shui
4 Booby Trapped Tombs
4 City Centers
4 The Hidden Grottos
2 Tranquil Peaks
Bustling Metro Station

Foundations
5 Corporate Informers
5 Recruits

Ramps
3 x Cabinet Minister
4 x Thief in the Night